Wednesday, September 30, 2009

This is about a week old...and my pictures wont load.

Transitions, transitions, transitions...

All I can say is that at this point, I feel like a pro at this whole transitioning thing. Friday we had our last Spanish class; transition #1. To wrap up my teacher and I shared a cup of coffee (French vanilla flavored; thanks Mom!), panito dulce, conversation and made friendship bracelets. We have been making friendship bracelets together over the past two weeks and while not intentional, doing this craft together really did bring us closer together, beyond the teacher/student dynamic. I really appreciated her willingness to be real and engage in genuine dialogue and quite honestly, all the Spanish we practiced during our conversations helped me way more than any workbook could ever have. Everything is just easier when there is real life application…and a little fun. I’m going to miss her for real.

I also had to pack up all my belongings and leave my host family; transition #2. Thursday I was up late packing up of course. The next morning, like most every other morning, my host dad and I sat at the table and ate breakfast together. While a little awkward at first, I really learned to appreciate our daily morning conversation. Whether about Spanish grammar, politics, cultural differences or religion, there was never a dull moment. That night, Paige and I went back for dinner (delicious minestrone soup, fettuccini alfredo, tomato and corn salad and baguette). The whole family was there and in true form we laughed and laughed and laughed. And although at times it feels like such a small thing, laughter really is a powerful thing. If you haven’t done it lately, I suggest you try it. Smile.


And transition #3 (and #4, #5, #6 and #7), we are off to our placements. This means 1) new tierra, 2) new families, 3) new jobs, 4) new culture… Yikes! Luke left early yesterday morning on a bus to Coban. Paige and I leave tomorrow. Anthony, our jefe (boss), will be accompanying us. We’ll drop Paige off first in Santiago Atitlan then head up into the mountains of Quiche to my new home in Nebaj by Tuesday. Since our arrival, we three SALTers have spent a lot of time together and it is going to be weird to not see each other on a daily basis. They have been such a great support; we’ve become our own little family. But once again we must move away from comfort into the unknown. This seems to be a common thread that is persistently weaving its way through our experiences so far as volunteers…hum. Tal vez asi es la vida? Saber.

And finally by “blogly” shout out to modern technology (blogly like weekly, hourly, monthly…yes I know I’m a dork for making up my own words but i love to do it. ha). Yesterday two friends got married and although I couldn’t be with them in person on their big day, I was able to make a phone call and congratulate the bride and groom voice to voice. And…I got to say hello’s to a handful of good friends who were all there celebrating together. Nothing like a little love from afar.
And this is where I’ll leave you. I’m not sure what my schedule will be like in the next week or so and when I’ll be able to access the internet again in that time. Hope this tides you over.

Love you all. Abrazos y besitos. Blog update from Nebaj to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment